Five Spice & Cocoa Braised Short Ribs
Yield: 4 Servings
Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
Cooking Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
4 pounds beef short ribs
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup soy sauce
The zest and juice of 1 orange
1 1/2 tsp ketchup
3 1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
1 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbs dark brown sugar
1 clove minced garlic
1 shallot, roughly chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place the short ribs in an ovenproof casserole just big enough to fit them snugly.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the stock, soy sauce, zest, juice, ketchup, five-spice powder, brown sugar, cocoa powder, garlic, shallot and thyme. Pour the mixture over the short ribs.
- Cover the baking container tightly with foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours (depending on the size of the ribs). The meat should be falling off the bone and give little resistance when pressed with a fork. Uncover and return to the oven to allow the juices to thicken, about 30 minutes more.
- Transfer the ribs to a plate and carefully pour the braising liquid into a large glass measuring cup. Allow it to sit for 15 minutes so fat will rise to the top. Using a small ladle or cup, skim off that fat.
- Serve the ribs with a few spoonfuls of sauce drizzled over the top.
Adopted from Brad Farmerie, The Wall Street Journal
Lime Cilantro Shaved Steak
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 1 min
- 1 lb package shaved steak
- juice of 2 fresh limes
- 1/2 cup fresh, chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- salt & fresh ground pepper as desired
- fresh Italian bread, lightly toasted
- 2 tbsp mayo & 4 tbsp horseradish
- Combine shaved steak, lime juice, cilantro, red onion, salt & fresh pepper in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Mix mayo and horseradish in a small dish, set aside
- In a medium frying pan, drizzle with olive oil on high heat.
- Once pan is hot, toss in shaved steak and roll around with a spatula constantly for 20 to 30 seconds. Take care not to over cook.
- Toast bread and spread with mayo & horseradish mixture, add steak.